Saturday, November 19, 2011

Recliner Reupholster

From Do It Yourself Divas



DIY
Reupholster an old lazy boy recliner



Here it is before




After!

Total Price: $40

This old sucker has been in my family for years; in fact I think it is as old as I am. This was the first reupholstering project I have ever done and I did it because I am nesting and I have to get the baby's room done! After searching on KSL.com for months without finding anything, and not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new rocking chair, I decided to ask my parents if I could have their old La-Z-Boy recliner. My husband and I got to work right away.


Since every chair is different, I can't really say how you can reupholster your very own chair, but this is basically what we did.

Step 1: Take the chair apart! It is helpful to have a handyman around if this is not your thing. Make sure you keep all hardware. You would not believe what I found inside this chair. Clumps of dust, sunflower seeds, and yes, a butter knife.

Step 2: Measure all parts covered in fabric and estimate how much fabric you need. Add extra fabric for seam allowances, or in other words, staple allowances. No sewing required. :) I used about 5 yards of very wide upholstery fabric.

Step 3: Rip off old fabric and cover with new fabric! Or you could even cover the old fabric with new fabric. I cut squares of fabric that cover the area of the piece I was working on and went at it. This takes a lot of tugging, pulling, folding and stapling. (Note to self and those reading: An electric stapler would be awesome for the next project. )I even used a hot glue gun to attach the fabric to the cardboard pieces. I didn't realize just how much cardboard was used to make this recliner until I gutted it. You would be surprised at how easy it is to just follow what the manufacturer did. Once the chair is in pieces, it is clear to see how the chair was upholstered in the first place.


Step 4: The hardest part about this particular chair were these buttons. I bought hardware called Cover Button Refill. This allowed me to use the same fabric as the rest of the chair for my buttons. The hard part was putting the buttons on the chair. It would have been nice to have a super extra long needle with a very wide eye to string these buttons on, but we didn't have one and I don't even know if they exist, so we got creative. We used a long skinny screwdriver to stab through the thick chair. We then taped the button parts onto the screwdriver and pulled it back through to the back of the chair and into place. Hard work! If there is an easier way, I would love to know.




Step 5: Once you have everything covered, put it back together. What do you think? Since this was my first reupholstering project, I would have to say that I am satisfied. This chair even has moving parts and it still worked out. :)





And if your not completely happy with the way it turned out, add a pillow. It may add a little something and make you feel all better. So have no fear with your reupholstering project. Hack away at that old Lazy Boy chair and create a beautiful new one.


No comments:

Post a Comment